Monday 10 January 2011

Knitting needles roll tutorial

 

 

This roll is made for total 75 knitting needles 20 cm/8 in. long. Seam allowances (1 cm/3/8 in.) are already included in measurements.

You will need:
  • 60 x 24 cm (23 3/5 x 9 1/2 in.) outside fabric
  • 60 x 24 cm (23 3/5 x 9 1/2 in.) inside fabric
  • 60 x 24 cm (23 3/5 x 9 1/2 in.) fleece
  • 60 x 24 cm (23 3/5 x 9 1/2 in.) for pockets, folded in half lenghtwise
  • 60 x 8 cm (23 3/5 x 3 1/6 in.) for upper protection, hemmed on the lower edge (final measurement = 60 x 6.5 cm (23 3/5 x 2 1/2 in.))
  • 60 cm (23 3/5 in.) lace for embellishment
  • 1 m (1 1/10 yd.) satin ribbon 1.5 cm (5/8 in.) wide 


1. Pin wrong side of inside fabric to fleece/velour. Machine baste all four edges using 0.5 cm/1/5 in. seam allowance.


2. Place folded pocket fabric to the lower edge and upper protection fabric + lace on top of it to the upper edge of inside fabric. Machine baste using 0.5 cm/1/5 in. seam allowance.


3. Pin or draw the lines for pockets. I recommend using your knitting needles as a measure. Make sure you start pinning/drawing 1.5 cm/5/8 in. away from both left and right edge of the roll. Sew the pockets with a regular straight stitch. Don't forget to backstitch!


 4. Pin satin ribbon folded in half to the right edge of the roll.


5. Pin and outside and inside fabric, right sides together. Draw curved corners to help you stitch them. Stitch using 1 cm/3/8 in. seam allowances. Leave about 6 cm/2 3/8 in. opening on the left side of the roll (not on the side where you pinned satin ribbon).


6. Trim seam allowances except where you left the opening. Clip the corners.


7. Turn inside out, press, and pin together the opening. Topstitch.


8. Put knitting needles in your new roll, roll it and tie a bow. Cut satin ribbon ends on bias and make sure they are the same length. Happy knitting! ;)

17 comments:

  1. Indeed. After this I can't wait to try out making the makeup brushes roll. After all I don't have a hundred knitting needles. :D

    Tutorial itself is beyond all praise. But I especially love the Slovenian folklore wibe the roll has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Awkward Panda: I am glad you like it. :)
    @Krvava Meri: Thanks. You can also make a crochet hooks roll, I suppose that one would come in handy to you, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're work is so neat! I can tell how much you love to create:) I want a sewing kit just like this! So pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good, easy to follow tutorial, thanks, I have included it on my blog http://handmadebyclairebear.com/2011/12/07/wips-on-wednesday-3/

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for sharing this! I just made this tonight and it turned out fantastic! All the needles have a home now instead of being jumbled up in a giant ziplock bag. Materials cost me $3 they sell similar handmade DPN rollup organizers at LYS for $32!!!! This saved me a ton of money!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Laura, my DPNs are going to be tidy at last. Lovely tutorial, not too detailed but all the key info.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Laura, thank you - particularly for showing the instructions in inches AND cm, which is particularly thoughtful and saves me a ton of time wailing in basic maths :-) I also love that it can fit 75 needles - it would be hair-pulling frustrating for me to go through the motions to only tidy up, say, 24 :-) Last, but certainly not least - it looks great. I am still quite inept at the whole sewing thing, but will strive to approach this level of cuteness :-)
    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this tutorial! My beloved DPNs now have a beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this and have been looking for this exact pattrrn/tutorial! Just wondering what size needles you included? Is this long enough to hold all the way up to 17s? If not i may need to adjust the lengths some. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsey,
      my needles are 19.5 cm long, sizes from 2 mm to 10 mm.

      Delete
    2. Laura, I just made mine today using this tutorial. Let me say it turned out fantastic!! I have been wanting to make one of these for a while and your tutorial was perfect!. Thank you so much

      Delete
  11. I loved this tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing, it was so easy to follow and believe it or not this was my first real sewing project! Here is a link to a picture: http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq286/caryn_prouty/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps52537496.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just lovely and I can't wait to start! Instructions are so well written. I am off to get material in the a.m. Can't wait to get started. Thank-you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful case. I would love to make one. Where do I get the pattern.

    ReplyDelete